PAROCHIAL CHURCH COUNCILS
The responsibilities and duties of Parochial Church Councils (" PCCs") are set out in the Parochial Church Councils (Powers) Measure 1956. Amongst other matters, the Measure requires that a PCC may not acquire either (a) an interest in land, or (b) any personal property to be held on permanent trusts, without the consent of the diocesan authority (the Diocesan Board of Finance). Where any such property is acquired, it must be vested in the Diocesan Board of Finance as custodian trustee for the PCC.
Membership of church electoral rolls and the management of Parochial Church Meetings and Councils is governed by the Church Representation Rules 2011 (see below).
The Church Representation Rules 2011 ("the Rules") require that every Parochial Church Council ("PCC") maintains an Electoral Roll. An Electoral Roll Officer should be appointed, whose role is to keep the Roll up to date by making additions and removals from time to time. Also, the Roll should be revised prior to each Annual Parochial Church Meeting.
The Rules require that in the year 2007 and in every sixth year thereafter, a completely new Roll should be prepared.
The current list of parochial fees can be viewed at the Church of England web site at http://www.cofe.anglican.org/lifeevents/fees/index.html.
Use of Churches and Church Halls
The Legal Department of the Archbishop's Council has circulated some advice regarding the application of the Licensing Act 2003 to churches and church halls with regard to "regulated entertainment".
The following publications will be of interest to Parochial Church Councils:
- CHURCH REPRESENTATION RULES 2011
- Published by
Church House Publishing, price £7.99. ISBN 9780715110416
The Rules deal with church governance at parochial, deanery, diocesan
and national level. Of particular interest to PCCs will be Part I -
Church Electoral Roll and Part II - Parochial Church Meetings and
Councils. Please note that these Rules contain a number of
amendments to and replace the 2006 Rules. The Rules can also be viewed online at the
Church of England web site.
- PCC ACCOUNTABILITY: THE CHARITIES ACT 2011 AND THE PCC (4th Edition)
- Published by Church House Publishing, price £10.99. Essential and up to date guidance for all PCCs in the preparation and scrutiny of their annual financial statements and reports.
- PRACTICAL CHURCH MANAGEMENT (3rd Ed. 2014)
- By James Behrens. Published by Gracewing, price £20.00 ISBN 9780852448120.
A very practical guide to many day to day matters, including finance, repairs, security, insurance,
church meetings, child protection, services, food hygiene, data protection, copyright, employment law,
charity law, VAT, etc.
- CHURCH DISPUTES MEDIATION
- By James Behrens. Published by Gracewing, price £30.00 ISBN 0852445784
- MEDIATION IN FACULTY APPLICATIONS
- An article written by Richard King for the Ecclesiastical Law Society Journal, and reproduced here by kind permission of the Ecclesiastical Law Society.
- AN ABC FOR THE PCC (5th Ed.)
- By John Pitchford. Published by Continuum, price £14.99. ISBN 9781906286071. Practical advice and information about the legal and spiritual duties and responsibilities of PCCs.
- CHARITIES ACT 1993 AND THE PCC (2nd Ed.)
- Published by Church House Publishing, price £4.50 ISBN 0715181238 This book, produced by staff of the Archbishop's Council, provides important guidance for all PCCs in the preparation and scrutiny of their annual accounts and report. Chapters of the book in Acrobat format can be viewed at the Church of England web site.
See also the list of publications under Churchwardens